Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Week 12 - The end is in sight

Finally made it to the last week, and what a steep learning curve it has been.

Social networking - hmmm...

Our IT department have blocked Facebook so was unable to check that out but took a look at Myspace. On a personal level it was easy to join - but not that easy to find people - I looked for people I had been to school with but found the limited search options hard to define and so returned no hits. At friendsreunited uk it was much easier to track down people - I found my old school very easily and was able to limit the search to just the year I left. Found 15 people plus one of them was organising a reunion so may even try to get back for that.

I am not sure if it would be a good marketing/research tool for libraries - a lot of people in our area do not have broadband access and we get quite a few 'brownouts' in the area. Would make it very frustrating for users of our services.

Second Life - I guess I'm too busy enjoying my real (first) life to want to join this online community. I have looked at the site but it really holds no attractions for me. Younger people who have grown up with this online world probably love it...

No comments: